IBEW Local 175 Referral policy effective May 1, 2021
IBEW Local 175 Referral Policy
Sign-in and Dispatch
Effective May 1, 2021.
1. IBEW Local 175 referrals are managed with the assistance of UnionWorx software. Referral sign-in shall take place any time during normal operating hours of the business office, (including lunch hour). Registration may also be accomplished during or after business hours using the UnionWorx app or website, see Item 5.
2. Local 175 job award notification will be made thru the UnionWorx app at 8:30am on days when jobs are available. In accordance with the IBEW International President’s Referral Procedure, the referral process will remain open until all calls are filled.
3. In accordance with all agreements connected to the referral policy, the business manager is responsible to fill calls in a timely manner as needed by employers. This means in an emergency, referrals may have to be made outside normal hours using whatever means are available to fill calls and place registrants.
When referred on a "Short Call" (14 days or less), the day you pick up your referral counts as the first day. You must re-sign the out of work list within 14 days (Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays included) or you will be removed from the list. Short Calls are limited to 14 days, then return to your place on the Out of work list.
Dispatch Systems – Number of Job Turndowns
4. IBEW Local 175 is using a web-based referral system provided by UnionWorx. The system accurately accounts for job turndowns in order to implement the turndown rules in section5 below.
In accordance with the International President’s Referral Procedure, UnionWorx has the ability to identify the individuals who could have been referred but did not respond, and they shall be issued a turndown.
Example: There are 100 applicants on the available for work list and there are calls for 4 JWs. Number 37 on the list takes the last job. Every person from #1 to #36 that did not take a job or call in gets a strike (turndown).
5. Registrants will be allowed two turndowns without penalty and will be rolled completely off the book for a third turndown. Registrants must *re-register after being rolled off. When you roll off the book you no longer have a number. Your new position will be established based on when you *re-register. NOTE: Book Position may not be available for up to 72 hours after being removed from the Book for strikes. Example: if you are removed via strikes on Friday and immediately resign on Friday, your new number may not be available until Monday.
i. the UnionWorx Website, https://ibew175.unionworx.cloud/
ii. the UnionWorx Mobile App,
iii. fax (423-855-4313)
iv. mail 3922 Volunteer Drive, Suite 9, Chatt TN 37416
v. in person during regular business hours 8-5 Monday thru Friday.
vi. Call the Local dispatcher at 423-894-3557
All these methods are acceptable with the understanding that the re-sign requests must be timely: between Midnight on the 10th and the 16th of each month. Please don’t wait until the last minute to re-sign.
All resign/re-register requests require approval by the dispatcher or his designee.
vii. The “How it works” section at: https://ibew175.unionworx.cloud/ answers most faq. There is also a “help” section for other questions.
*the process to re-register is the same as to re-sign.
Being unavailable for referral when work is available to the registrant shall be considered a turndown.
Rejection of the applicant by an employer is not a turndown.
Re-sign shall be required monthly beginning on the 10th and ending on the 16th of each month.
The local union business manager, after proper notice, may require applicants to re-sign in person no more than once in a calendar year to maintain eligibility on the “Out of Work List” after their initial signing.
9. Re-sign may be accomplished by mail, fax, email, web/internet, or in person. See item 5. (Fax or e-mail re-signs shall not be required to be sent from the home local union).
Re-signs will require the following information: Name, Address home local #, and IBEW card # or if not a union member, a driver's license or government-approved ID.
Discharge for Cause
Any individual who receives two discharges for cause within a twelve-month period shall be suspended from future referral privileges until they appear before the Appeals Committee for a determination as to their continued eligibility for referral.
IBEW Local 175 Inside and Outside Referral Procedure Policy Turndown Rule Exceptions
The following is a list of exceptions for which applicant for employment will not be assessed a turndown under the referral procedure:
A. Summoned for or serving on Jury Duty – Documentation is required
B. Calls for special skills that require certification or calls that require the ability to weld. This does not apply to Chattanooga City Journeyman License.
C. The applicant is refused employment by the employer.
D. Unavailable on official Union business.
E. On a planned vacation, with three (3) days prior written and signed notice to the dispatcher. This is limited to two (2) weeks per calendar year.
F. Providing care for an immediate family member who has a major illness. Immediate family shall include spouse, children, parents, siblings, grandchildren, grandparents, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, and in-law relatives. Documentation from a medical professional is required. Limited to two (2) weeks per occurrence.
G. Death in the immediate family. Immediate family shall include spouse, children, parents, siblings, grandchildren, grandparents, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, and in-law relatives. Documentation showing the death and relationship is required. Limited to two (2) weeks per occurrence.
H. Not accepting a“Short Call”.